STUDENT-ATHLETE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
What is SAAC?
A student-athlete advisory committee (SAAC) is a committee made up of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athelete experience. The SAAC also offers input on the rules, regulations and policies that affect student-athletes' lives on NCAA member institution campuses. NCAA legislation mandates that all member institutions have SAACs on their respective campuses. Further, NCAA legislation requires that all member conferences have SAACs.
Purpose of SAAC
The purpose of the Div. II student-athlete advisory committee shall reflect the following:
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the institution,
- Solicit student-athlete response to proposed NCAA legislation,
- Suggest potential NCAA legislation,
- Organize community service efforts,
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide or conference-wide committees.
The mission of the NCAA Division II Student-Athlete Advisory Committtee is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity for all student-athletes; protecting student-athlete well being; and fostering a positive student-athlete image.
The Division II SAAC will be guided by the following principles: ethics, integrity, fairness and respect for diversity, which shall include attention to gender, ethnicity and sports.
WSSU On-Campus SAAC
Communication among campus, conference and national SAACs offers student-athletes the opportunity to shape the landscape of intercollegiate athletics.
Functions of WSSU's campus SAAC
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
- Disseminate information.
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues.
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the campus athletics department during its formulation of policies.
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletics teams.
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed CIAA and NCAA legislation.
- Organize community service efforts.
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees (e.g., student government).
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
Members of WSSU's campus SAAC have the opportunity to address issues affecting student-athletes at WSSU, and issues within the CIAA; furthermore, members have the opportunity to offer input on issues that may be national in scope.
The campus committee is meant to serve as a local student-athlete voice in addressing issues of student-athlete well-being at its respective institutions. Campus committees can facilitate better communication among student-athletes from various athletics teams to address issues common to all.
The campus SAAC may also serve as a conduit of communication among student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators on issues to improve the student-athlete experience and promote growth and education through sports participation. Concerns can be voiced and solutions offered regarding any issue that may be relevant to NCAA student-athletes.
Through the grass-roots efforts of the campus SAACs communicating with the conference SAACs, and the conference SAACs communicating with the national SAAC, student-athletes have the opportunity to change the face of intercollegiate athletics.
- Membership shall consist of 1-2 members of each athletic team. There shall be one (1) member from the volleyball, softball, bowling, men's tennis, women's tennis, men's cross country, women's cross country, men's track, women's track, baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball and Red and White cheerleading teams. There shall be two (2) representatives from the football team. Members shall be selected annually by the coaches and staff of their representative teams.
20013-14 Executive Board Members
President -Christopher Jeter, Men's Tennis
Vice-President -Vanessa Weston, Women's Basketball
Secretary-Kayla Brass, Volleyball
Recording Secretary - Devan Corpening, Women's Tennis