WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC ACADEMIC SERVICES
The Winston-Salem State University Department of Athletics opened the athletics learning lab in the winter of 2011.
What is Academic Advising?
Academic advising is an educational process that facilitates students’ understanding of the meaning and purpose of higher education. It fosters and encourages intellectual and personal development, academic success, and promotes lifelong learning. Academic advising provides an opportunity to build relationships for the purpose of gaining assistance in planning your educational career, while maximizing the benefits of education. Through this collaborative educational process, you and your advisor partner in planning academic, personal, and career goals.
Benefits of Academic Advising
As a result of academic advising, you will be able to:
- Utilize and access university academic and student support services and resources.
- Develop an educational plan that outlines and leads to timely completion of your educational goals.
- Understand academic and administrative policies and procedures.
- Develop vital critical thinking and independent decision-making skills to make and accept responsibility for academic decisions.
- Evaluate personal interest and abilities leading to the discovery of realistic academic and professional goals.
Finding my Advisor
Advisors for UNDECLARED and transfer students are located in University College (Hauser Building, Room 205). If you are unsure about who your academic advisor is stop by C.E. Gaines, Room 108.
Student Roles and Responsibilities
- Know who your academic advisor is and where he/she is located.
- Seek advisement early in the semester.
- Be proactive in assuring your academic success.
- Understand your academic advisor’s role and how they can assist you.
- Familiarize yourself with the requirements of your major by obtaining a copy of the curriculum pathway and maintain an accurate record of courses completed.
- Notify your academic advisor of any recent changes in your profile information (address, telephone number, email, etc.)
- Know your current cumulative grade point average (GPA) and your current amount of earned credit hours.
- Keep up with important dates and deadlines on the academic calendar and University College website.
- Utilize university email as an official form of communication.
- Your academic advisor is an advocate for you and is available to assist you throughout your duration at the university.
- Prepare your schedule based on your curriculum pathway before meeting with your advisor during early registration.
- Keep all notes, forms, and paperwork for advising sessions.
- Attend all major and minor meetings.
Advisor Roles & Responsibilities
- Help you explore possible fields of study.
- Answer questions about specific major requirements.
- Review curriculum pathway and coursework for possible majors and areas of interest.
- Inform you of academic progress since your previous visit and your plans until the next visit.
- Suggest academic enrichment such as undergraduate research, internships, and careers of interest.
IMPORTANT ACADEMIC LINKS
Winston-Salem State Athletics Academic Advisor
C.E. Gaines Center, Room 108
Office Phone: (336) 750-8819