BILL HAYES GAME BITS #2 - (Bill Hayes is a veteran and legend in football coaching circles, as well as being a renowned AD. He has put together these tidbits to inform our fans of some of the behind-the-scenes things that go into putting on a NCAA Playoff Game)
University of New Haven
HEAD COACH – Peter Rossomando is 24-8 in three seasons
a. Nick name – Chargers
b. Colors – Blue and Gold
c. Dellacamera Stadium has blue and gold synthetic turf
d. Staduim capacity of 3,500
e. Defeated #5 Kutztown to advance to this weekend's NCAA Quarterfinals
New Haven Football History
a. First year of football - 1973
b. All time record - 184-137-5
c. NE10 Conference Championships - 2 – 2010, 2011
d. Playoff appearances - 5
e. NCAA's Division II record - 7-4
f. Last playoff appearance - 2010
g. Official name is – University of New Haven
h. University of New Haven was founded in 1920
i. University is located in West Haven, Connecticut.
j. Enrollment of 6,000 students
k. Last regular season 2011 poll rankings: AFCA: 5th, D2Football.com: 11th
j. Miami Dolphins head coach, Tony Sparano, is a New Haven graduate, and has the strength & conditioning center named in his honor.
K. Primary offensive goal: Throw it!
New Haven has passed for over 3,465 yards and 39 touchdowns, although they have rushed for 1,693 yards and 25 touchdowns
1. Types of footballs – WSSU normally plays with the Spalding footballs; however, the NCAA requires that we use Wilson Footballs.
2. We will practice with three different Wilson's balls and select the best fit early next week.
3. Officials will be assigned by the Division II Conference Office selected by the Division II Football Committee. Officials assigned have not officiated for either school.
4. WSSU is the home team and must wear dark uniforms.
5. Both football programs must exchange at least two previous game tapes.
6. In person game scouting is not permissible
7. Each institution's band may perform at half-time for six (6) minutes. If the opposing band does not attend, WSSU's band may perform for 12 minutes.
8. WSSU's athletics must make press box arrangements and field telephones and space for coaches and duplicating machines.
9. Medical services and assistance is provided by the home team.
10. NCAA's handbook states "no complimentary tickets will be issued."
11. Public address announcer and team introduction must be neutral.
12. Squad size is 54 players maximum and total party of 70 individuals including coaches, trainers and equipment personnel.
13. The tie-breaker procedure will be used in case of a tie game
14. Bands cannot play once the 25/40 second clock starts.
15. No artificial noise makers allowed – (thunder sticks, bells, horns)
16. The team area is from the 25 yard line to the opposite 25 year line.
17. NCAA's pre-game meeting will be held at the Field House Friday Evening
18. Host institutions or sponsoring agencies are encouraged to extend the utmost courtesy to the competing teams.
19. If space heaters or cooling fans are provided, both teams must have the same.
20. Home team must assist the visitors with a kicking net if needed.
- Ticket prices are $15 for general admission and $10 for WSSU students with proper ID (also will honor students from other area colleges and high school with ID). Parking prices will remain the same as in the regular season, $12 for the South Lot (Reserved – no season ticket or game ticket required) and $10 for the East and West Lots.
- Parking lots and tailgating open at 9:00 am at Bowman Gray Stadium on Saturday, while the gates will open at 11:00 am.
- Those who purchased Red Seat tickets for last week's game will have first rights to purchase Red Seat tickets to this week's game. You will have until Wednesday, November 30th at noon to do so. Afterwards, tickets will go on sale to the general public.
- Entry to the HORN$ lot will require a game ticket ($15).
- Parking passes for the HORN$ Lot will be for sale at the WSSU Ticket Office Only (Contact the WSSU Ticket Office at 336-750-3220).
- The Richardson Room will be open from 10:30 am until 11:30 pm for HORN$ members and a guest. Due to the NCAA post-game press conference in the Richardson Hospitality Suite, HORN$ members will not be able to view the game from the patio/suite (Please purchase your game ticket).
- Public facilities within the City of Winston-Salem are legally required to offer 1% of all parking as handicap accessible. Currently Bowman Gray Stadium offers 2% handicap parking. We are not permitted to sell additional handicap spaces beyond the 2% that have been allocated as handicap parking as we would exceed the legal requirement. Once all handicap parking spaces have been exhausted, all patrons (handicap/non handicap) must pay the fee associated with the lot in which they park ($10 general, $12 Reserved).
Those who require handicap accessibility may be dropped off at the South gate or may park in the East or West Lots. WSSU will try its best to accommodate them by providing a shuttle from the lot to the gate.
- Please be advised that there are 62 spaces allotted for handicap parking. When these spaces are sold out, you have the option to park in the Reserved Lot at the regular rate of $12 per space, or you may choose to park in the East or West lots at $10 per space.
- There are 29 handicapped spaces left in the RESERVED LOT for purchase for Saturday's game. When these spaces are sold out, patrons will have the choice to park either in the EAST or WEST lots.