BILL HAYES GAME BITS #2 - (Bill Hayes is a veteran and legend in football coaching circles, as well as being a renowned AD. He has put together these tidbits to inform our fans of some of the behind-the-scenes things that go into putting on a NCAA Playoff Game)
University of New Haven
HEAD COACH – Peter Rossomando is 24-8 in three seasons
a. Nick name – Chargers
b. Colors – Blue and Gold
c. Dellacamera Stadium has blue and gold synthetic turf
d. Staduim capacity of 3,500
e. Defeated #5 Kutztown to advance to this weekend's NCAA Quarterfinals
New Haven Football History
a. First year of football - 1973
b. All time record - 184-137-5
c. NE10 Conference Championships - 2 – 2010, 2011
d. Playoff appearances - 5
e. NCAA's Division II record - 7-4
f. Last playoff appearance - 2010
g. Official name is – University of New Haven
h. University of New Haven was founded in 1920
i. University is located in West Haven, Connecticut.
j. Enrollment of 6,000 students
k. Last regular season 2011 poll rankings: AFCA: 5th, D2Football.com: 11th
j. Miami Dolphins head coach, Tony Sparano, is a New Haven graduate, and has the strength & conditioning center named in his honor.
K. Primary offensive goal: Throw it!
New Haven has passed for over 3,465 yards and 39 touchdowns, although they have rushed for 1,693 yards and 25 touchdowns
1. Types of footballs – WSSU normally plays with the Spalding footballs; however, the NCAA requires that we use Wilson Footballs.
2. We will practice with three different Wilson's balls and select the best fit early next week.
3. Officials will be assigned by the Division II Conference Office selected by the Division II Football Committee. Officials assigned have not officiated for either school.
4. WSSU is the home team and must wear dark uniforms.
5. Both football programs must exchange at least two previous game tapes.
6. In person game scouting is not permissible
7. Each institution's band may perform at half-time for six (6) minutes. If the opposing band does not attend, WSSU's band may perform for 12 minutes.
8. WSSU's athletics must make press box arrangements and field telephones and space for coaches and duplicating machines.
9. Medical services and assistance is provided by the home team.
10. NCAA's handbook states "no complimentary tickets will be issued."
11. Public address announcer and team introduction must be neutral.
12. Squad size is 54 players maximum and total party of 70 individuals including coaches, trainers and equipment personnel.
13. The tie-breaker procedure will be used in case of a tie game
14. Bands cannot play once the 25/40 second clock starts.
15. No artificial noise makers allowed – (thunder sticks, bells, horns)
16. The team area is from the 25 yard line to the opposite 25 year line.
17. NCAA's pre-game meeting will be held at the Field House Friday Evening
18. Host institutions or sponsoring agencies are encouraged to extend the utmost courtesy to the competing teams.
19. If space heaters or cooling fans are provided, both teams must have the same.
20. Home team must assist the visitors with a kicking net if needed.